Part I – Social networking sites
Social network sites seem to come in at least 4 different flavors: site that offer tools to manage your references, tools to increase your online presence and ease networking, tools to exchange and engage in new collaborations and more site that are specialized in specific scientific fields. Keep in mind that this classification is not exclusive since all have overlapping functionalities.
- Mendeley – 2 million-user mark passed in 2012
- CiteUlike – Sponsored by SpringerLink.
- BibSonomy – Initiative from the University of Kassel, Germany.
- Connotea – Sponsored by Nature Publishing group
- Zotero – Great open source reference manager
- ResearchGate – The 2 million-user academic social network
- MyScienceWork – Soon 5 languages for this European orientated network.
- UnitedAcademics – Connects science to society.
- Colwiz – Collective Wizdom from Oxford (UK)
- Labroots – Pioneer int the science social networking site business.
- BiomedExperts – Bringing experts together
- AcademicJoy – A more personal approach to research
There are probably many more out there. Please feel free to comment or contact me if you know of any that are not listed here.